Friday, July 8, 2011

Simple Stuff

I called my aunt today who lives 1,500 miles from here to wish her a happy 84th birthday.  She was so surprised and delighted.  I dabble in verse and recently sent one to a friend that brought a smiling response.  When my neighbors were sick, I mowed their lawn and brought them a home cooked meal.  None of this cost much, but the recipients considered them treasures.  It is so simple to brighten someone’s day.
Even though I have turned into somewhat of a homebody, I want to stay in touch with what’s going on in the world.  But, the news is so depressing.  Why didn’t someone give a little sunshine to the guy who randomly killed seven in Michigan, why is war going on everywhere, why do the politicians toy around when the country is on the verge of bankruptcy and why does our society condone the death penalty?  Is it drugs, is it hate, is it greed, is it power, is it deplorable?
I choose my friends by the size of their heart, not their wallet.  They don’t need to be rich or famous.  They do have to have compassion and display kindness and encouragement and inspiration and once in awhile hit me up side the head and get me back on the right track.  And I do the same for them.  This is an indication of true friendship, actually caring about somebody.  It’s as easy as going broke to discover who your real friends are.  Like a flock of birds heading south for the winter, when your income vanishes, so do all your pretend friends.  The ones who are left are real and I prefer real.
So I am going to keep loving life and others and spreading my human smile virus and hope the attitude is contagious.  Guitars, not guns, should rule the world.  Call me a little weird, life’s a little weird and I am going to continue to reach out to others who are compatible and join up with them in mutual weirdness and change this crazy world.  It’s that simple.

5 comments:

  1. You have a big heart, Glenn. I join you in weirdness and in trying to change the world for the better. Even starting with a smile for a stranger is a good beginning. I'm getting my guitar out so I can rule the world. No, on second thought I don't want to rule the world, I'll just try to smile more:-)

    Good words from a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. USA = 5 percent of worlds population and 25 percent of the worlds incarceration. Time and love went south long ago but the light has been trying to turn the tide from this throw away madness. Keep sharing and shining with your words Glenn as it is weirdness and craze that we seem against such great odds. A harmony of peace, love and fairness to all is sure to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you for taking the time to read and especially respond to my posts. If enough of us weirdos get together, we could become the norm. How crazy good would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words! I hope you will count me as a good friend! I have never laid eyes on you, but I sure like the person behind the words.

    Thanks, Glenn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words, good friend Ann. I think we all would like to be judged by our substance and not our packaging. As always, I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete